Friday, February 6

Olga Burger

In Michigan there is a restaurant called Olga's Kitchen. They make the best Olga bread for their sandwiches. I found a site today that has a copy cat recipe and gave it a whirl. They turned out as yummy as I remembered them! It's been a very long time since I've had an Olga Burger.

I've burned out on HGTV and I've been into Food Network lately. I've been watchign alot of Ultimate Recipe Showdown and was inspired to make a yummy burger for dinner. :)

Rolling out the dough.


Quickly cooking the bread...15 seconds one side 10 seconds on the other.

Spread mayo on the Olga bread and then add your hamburger (I topped ours with provolone cheese) and garnish with lettuce and ketchup.

It's a very sweet bread that is delicous! I made 16 of them so now I need to figure a few other things to use it for besides burgers.

Olga's Kitchen Bread
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup margarine
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 egg

Scald milk, remove to large bowl. Add honey, margarine and salt to milk; stir until margarine is melted. Set aside to cool until lukewarm.

Combine yeast, warm water and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour to lukewarm milk mixture and beat well. Mix in egg and yeast mixture. Add remaining flour, a little at a time, until sticky dough is formed. Turn out on a floured surface; knead about two minutes. Dough will be sticky, but don’t add more flour. Place dough in oiled bowl, turning once to oil whole surface of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough; divide into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a thin rough circle about 8-10 inches in diameter.

Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat; do not use any oil. Bake 15 seconds, flip and bake about 10 seconds on other side, until mottled brown spots appear. Cool and store in a plastic bag.

Makes 16.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Sue said...

I can't believe Olga's is still around. I'll have to try the recipe. It has been 23+ years since I've eaten at Olga's so I can't even remember what it tastes like. All I remembered was something like a gyro and that looked exactly like what I was thinking!

Unknown said...

Thats what the olga break reminded me of!.....a gyro. I can't wait to make it. What a great alternative to boring bread. Thanks!!

Casey said...

That sounds really good...thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Love Olga's!!!! I am definitely trying this!

Aunt Ann

Anonymous said...

Ginny~~too funny! I just ate there while visiting my dad!! They have new zucchini fries that were too yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

Love keeping up with your blog,
Tricia

The Logans said...

I got teased a bit for this post from my mom because she thought it was funny I took pictures of the process. However, I've gotten emails and comments that you all have been trying the recipe! Olga's is a funny little restaurant that I would eat at most of the time with my Grandma Shank. I'm glad it has special memories for some of you and for those of you that have yet to taste Olga's...visit Michigan or try the recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

Ginny: Your friends are catching on that Olga's was a Greek restuarant. We tried the recipe last weekend and it was great.
DAD

Shop our Amazon Affiliate Link

 

Logan Family Living Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design